Friday, April 14, 2006

9. Fairyland

Fairyland with Anika and Emily



When I awoke this morning a very vivid dream was with me. It is Good Friday, 2006. Allow me a minute to share it with you...

Andy and Sharons kids were hovering as I watched the filling of the pond from an upstairs window. A hose was providing water but with all the sediment from years past, what we saw was a small tide of mud gradually sweep across the final expanse of old concrete. Really not a pretty sight. With a hearty "its nearly full " I tore off to deal with the shutting down, admire my handiwork etc. Followed afar off by the little girls I decided to enjoy myself at the same time. I hopped aboard an old door and paddled it like a surfboard down the water shoot towards the pond, a fairly hairy ride as there was little stability and less experience. Where the shoot enters the pond I had to grapple with a fallen tree which impeded my progress. Tugging at this tree the log sort of fell apart and as I ripped it away it exposed some insect life with a perfectly formed cache of eggs. Like a factory packed production of hundreds of these things about the size of small jaffas, only white.
" Look", I said to Anika,who was enviously trekking in behind me," isn't this beautuiful".
But as we looked more carefully, and Milly idled in to make sure she wasn't missing something that Anika might have to herself, the insect wasn't the focus but it was a fairy princess about 3 or 4 inches high disturbed from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes and stretched, as fairies do. She struggled with her sleep and then from among the rows of eggs found a mirror where she began to preen herself. We left her to do what fairies do, thoroughly impressed with the absolute beauty of all things. What we can see through the eyes of a child! With the eyes of a child how much we might see! Oh to view Creation with an attitude of "bewonderment", to see the fairies in the garden, to smell the flowers, and without destroying we find beauty in the least likely of places. Far from admiring my handiwork, I found in the eyes of a child a dream to end dreams.
Blessed are the little children , isn't theirs the kingdom of heaven?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home